Tuesday 16 June 2020

Devices - DFI Session 7

In today's session we started off by looking at the Cybersmart curriculum created by Manaiakalani. A key pedagogy of the curriculum is to empower children on how to manage a device and the tools a device can offer. 
I love this as it can be used by any type of learner no matter what device they have or what the purpose of the device is. 

I think the following proverb really complements the Cybersmart curriculum:



The Hapara hot tips have been very helpful, complemented with today's section on Hapara. I'm still getting my head around Hapara but learning the basics sure does help. 

Today's digital dig into Chromebooks was a great insight. It was good to see what and how seniors at our school use these devices. 

Of course, by far my highlight of today was the work we did on iPads, as this is linked directly to the main tool we use on a daily basis in our practice. 

I'm still not 100% sold on Explain Everything. 
Con: As a teacher/creator I find it a little too fiddly, especially considering the projects can not be created on a laptop. 
Pro: However, it is very user friendly for younger students (year 1-3), especially those new to a digital device. 

I gave it a go... here is a snippet of a project I started creating:



2 comments:

  1. Hi Neelam. Yes Explain Everything is super user friendly for the students. I'm still getting used to creating projects on it too but I'm sure with practice you can work out a way for it to be manageable. It's also great that you're thinking about Chromebooks as that's what students will be using next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Neelam,
    Explain Everything is a great tool as there are so many features that make it easy to use and create content? To really utilise it you do need a teacher iPad signed into google to make the workflow quicker.
    Your quote is right on the money, being Cybersmart is such an empowering area, we can never be safe online however by being smart we can be much safer.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete