Tuesday 23 June 2020

Computational Thinking - DFI Session 8


Empowered - give (someone) the authority or power to do something.

I touched on empowerment in my last blog titled Devices - DFI session 7

With the speed technology is advancing, who knows what technology will look like in the next 10 years for the learners of today. By only using a device as a tool we are limiting their creativity and accessibility to only those tools we use. 
Rather, if we teach learners how to use a device safely, and everything a device can offer (including warnings about the bad things that can happen to) they are becoming enriched with all this knowledge which can be transferred from one device to another, from one environment to another. And even when device/technology do change, these learners are still embedded with this knowledge which can then again be transferred and adapted to suit their circumstance. 

We tried out the Moral Machine Activity - a platform for gathering human perspective on moral decisions made by machines. When shown the first image I froze and thought to myself 'are these the only 2 options'?
Slightly unrelated to the moral machine aspect, but it got me thinking. When giving children options we tend to give a good option and a bad option. This limited there thinking to a 50/50 chance of something happening. However, if given a good nor bad option this enables them to think a lot deeper.

I would consider myself a beginner when it comes to computational thinking. ie. I can happily cover the basics. 
In the new digital curriculum, I feel I already cover a fair bit of the first strand: Computational Thinking. Especially through the Cyber Smart program.
  
 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Neelam, I'm with you, I found the moral machine activity incredibly uncomfortable but totally fascinating. It's great that you can see how a lot of your current teaching already relates to computational thinking. Did you think of any next steps or new ideas for either of the strands?

    ReplyDelete