Friday 8 March 2024

Know your Learners as Readers - RPI Day 2

In session 1 it was mentioned that up until session 3 it's as if you’re climbing the hill. I can definitely feel that with today's session. At times I felt on top of things and then at times I was drowning! 


However in between the 2 sessions it was great to be able to apply some of the things discussed in class with real learners. Having an authentic experience and audience definitely helped me understand the process a lot better. Thus making today a lot more worthwhile. I also need to remember that the examples are bigger goals to head towards and instead if I pick and choose a few items to work on and add to my kete rather then trying to replicate something to this extent over night. 


Teacher Workbook 

An area which I knew I needed to work on before RPI was data informed planning. So as heavy as today's session was, it was very welcomed. I loved the Teacher Workbook which was introduced today! Although very overwhelming at first and something which will take a while to initially set up (especially at the beginning of the year with new learerns and knowing very little about them) I can definitely see myself finding a system that works for me and making use of it. 


I enjoyed the session on AO, LI & SC and seeing how all of this comes together on the Teacher Workbook. It definitely makes a smoother transition between all the parts of planning. 


Task Board

I currently already use a learning task board with my learners. This is more a generic cross curricular task board which I build on throughout the week (not to overwhelming for some learners). 


I just thought I would also throw in a different version of task boards I have used in the past (not for reading specifically)


I think my learners will engage well with the Reading Task board, so I’m looking forward to using it. For the lower level learners and learners new to using Chromebooks it might be a bit overwhelming, so to start with I might ‘hide’ the with the teacher tasks until I have had the group and we have gone through the tasks together. 



For the Weekly choice board section I used to have a similar version for my junior class with different levels they had to choose from them. They had to start at green and then work their way down to red. It was engaging and gave the learners student agency after their guided and independent learning. 



Over all it was a great session with many takeaways. I look forward to having a tutu with the new tools and applying some in my practice.




1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Neelam
    Thanks for posting your Day 2 reflections from RPI.
    Day 2 is a big day and I know how overwhelming it can seem. I really liked how you mentioned adding these new ideas or tools into your kete instead of trying to do it all at once.
    It was great to see some existing task boards - always interesting to see other teachers planning.
    Best of luck implementing things over the next few weeks,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete