Tuesday 12 May 2020

Workflow - DFI session 2

I have realised in today's sessions and following on from session 1, that so many of the Google apps I use so regularly have so many hidden perks which I am totally unaware of.

A few highlights from today's learn session for me:
Meet
Children screen sharing - I regularly share my screen during our daily google meet calls, however after today's session I trialed a child sharing their iPad screen with me in order for me to help them navigate their way around (to solve an issue they had). 
Dual window - I find with screen sharing I prefer to share a window and have the Meet window open alongside the shared window. This gives me the ability to see my students and see the screen they are seeing on their end. I have found especially screen-sharing an iPad, there is a lag and a lot of the time I explain something and the kids aren't able to follow due to the lag on the screen share. 

Gmail - Learning to schedule an email to be sent. 

Keep - I have never used this app and I feel I have been missing out. I was quite overwhelmed by the number of tasks it can assist in. Personally, for me, I will start by integrating 1 aspect of the Keep tools into my workflow a week. 

Today's create task (which was to: think about the learning behind the post, how the student responded and how the responses to the post support/contribute to the learning experience) made me reflect on my practice. 

I'm not a very frequent blogger, nor do I comment on blogs. Since our last session, my post frequency on our class blog has increased. This week I would like to focus on leaving meaningful comments on learners blogs. 
I found the following graphic very helpful in forming a comment: 


4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Neelam. Welcome to the wonderful world of Google Keep. I'd be very lost without it! I've just finished a session on blog commenting with Harris Class so maybe the two of you could work out some way of supporting each other with posting on your class blogs regularly? Are you enjoying hearing about the Manaiakalani kaupapa and seeing where learn, create, share started?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,

      If possible am I able to get some support in doing a session on blog commenting with my kids? Gerhard covered it last year, however, if you have or are able to direct me to some supporting resources in teaching this that would be a huge help. I would love to interact with Harris Class blogs as we cover similar content.

      Yes I find the more I learn about the kaupapa the better I understand the WHY in everything we do. So it's been a great stimulator at the start of each session.

      Delete
    2. Hi Neelam, of course. We can have a chat next time I'm at school. If you are keen to make blog commenting more of a focus I would recommend signing up to Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu. Registration From

      Delete
  2. Tena koe Neelam,
    I love the schedule an email, it is so quick and easy however really shows get respect to the recipient especially if it is getting close to the end of the work day.
    Google Keep is really empowering and I love your idea of introducing one aspect a week to make it manageable.
    It is great to hear the class blog is becoming more of a focus for you. This is such a critical part of modelling for your young students so they have a really good understanding when they get their own blogs.
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete